Tuesday 3 September 2013

Rose Coloured Glasses: Music

Today I was at home on my day off listening to music from youtube. Naturally, I am a lyrics person listening to the songs I realised we hear what we want to from the songs.


These songs have been on replay on my computer for a while now. (Sorry neighbours!)

Labrinth feat. Emeli Sandé - Beneath Your Beautiful


The video shows a stage and dancing, singing... Typical set up.
The lyrics are lovely:


I'm gonna climb on top your ivory tower
I'll hold your hand and then we'll jump right out
We'll be falling, falling but that's OK
'Cause I'll be right here
I just wanna know

The lyrics talk about an ivory tower, being built up and being hidden by tall walls so no one can see how beautiful she really is. It reminds me of the walls we build to hide behind, to hide how beautiful we are inside. 
That some people hide behind things (walls or ivory tower) and yet we all try to crumble them down so we can see who they are on the inside.

Beauty in the eye of the beholder? Maybe. 

Only know you love her when you let her go
And you let her go
.......
You see her when you close your eyes
Maybe one day you'll understand why
Everything you touch surely dies
......

Staring at the ceiling in the dark
Same old empty feeling in your heart
'Cause love comes slow and it goes so fast

Well you see her when you fall asleep
But never to touch and never to keep
'Cause you loved her too much
And you dived too deep

This of course is from Passenger's song "Let Her Go". Every time I hear it, I feel like I am every emotion at once, form happy and in love. All those gooey, mushy feelings that love and romance bring ... and back to ground when I miss home. I love being on the road and living away but sometimes it just takes a song to bring me back to ground and realise I *do* in fact miss home. Home, the home-town I grew up in. Back where my family lives.


But then just listening to this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bek1y2uiQGA&feature=share&list=RD02miOEmyjpLkU

Avicci vs Nicky Romero's "I could be the one"

You have to watch the video: feel good about your skin, no matter your size. Fat shaming does occur. (I don't like the salad scene, but it made me laugh seeing how happy the skinnier girl was eating that *bad* food. (Giggle).

Do you think about me when you're all alone?
The things we used to do, we used to be
I could be the one to make you feel that way
I could be the one to set you free

Do you think about me when the crowd is gone?
It used to be so easy, you and me
I could be the one to make you feel that way
I could be the one to set you free


It is based in the past a bit, looking back at what was, but it's also looking forward to the present (if not slightly to the future) accepting things and making changes to create a better place. Of course I came to this conclusion from the video and not the lyrics so much. (Although the lyrics are based in the past, see the past tense coming through, asking someone in the present how they remember, if they remember at all.) 







Credits:
Lyrics from 
http://www.azlyrics.com









No comments:

Post a Comment