Monday 17 August 2015

Modesty and the lace instillation into the floral dress.


Lately I've been thinking about modesty, how much skin I'm showing and what I'm showing. I'm in my final 18 months of university now and I've been thinking about how I want to be seen when I've graduated. I'm going into teaching and my course will take a further year of study after I've completed my BA. Of course teaching means I'll need to dress even more modestly than I do now. 

I bought this purple floral dress two years ago and wore it to my cousin's wedding. It was nice and it's knee length. However the cut outs along the top of the dress - especially the front showed a lot more boob than I was happy with. I wore a corset under it, not knowing how much worse this made the boob showing situation! (Urgh! Fashion horrors of the past!)
Thankfully I've learned the lesson. 

Recently I re-found my blue petticoat which I wasn't wearing as much - so I removed the lace trim off the lower hem of it and re-purposed it into the cut outs on the dress.

I've simply hand stitched them into place, and no stitches can be seen on the front or back material. Nicely done! I'm very happy with how it's turned out and impressed at my sewing ability. I've improved a lot since learning as a girl guide all those years ago. 

Following are some photos of the dress and of me wearing it.


New lace inserts sewn into place. (above and below).


The original cut outs along the back of the dress. (below).



I think I'll also wear this with a small cardy over it, so I'm not showing my shoulders so much. 
It's also a little cool at the moment to wear it, since we're heading into winter. 
I've been wearing longer sleeves and more layers recently. 


No quote this week, just more of my pondering about the term Modesty and what it means.


modesty

/ˈmɒd ə sti/ 







nounplural modesties.

1.
the quality of being modestfreedom from vanity, boastfulness, etc.
2.
regard for decency of behavior, speech, dress, etc.
3.
simplicity; moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment